Ten times more soot filter premiums because of LEZ
In 2017 the demand for soot filter premiums in Flanders has increased tenfold compared to the year before. In 2015 hardly 11 premiums were paid (6.600 euro), in 2016 the number went up to 175 premiums (80.800 euro), and last year even 1.818 demands were registered (good for more than 1 million euro), ten times more than in 2016.
Reason for the sudden rise is the introduction of the so-called Low Emission Zones (LEZ) in Antwerp in February 2017, banning old and polluting diesel cars from the city centre. Large majority (87%) of the demands came from within the Antwerp province, the remaining 13% was spread over the four other Flemish provinces. Only 21 demands (1,2%) came from Limbourg.
The premium can go up to 600 euro and is meant to install a half-open soot filter in older diesel cars classified as cars with a Euro3 or Euro4 engine. New cars are equipped with a closed filter system.