France: 1 000 hybrid cars sold per day
In the ten first days of June, sales of new hybrid cars have jumped by 89% compared to the same period last year. It represents 1 000 new hybrid cars per day. Electrified vehicles got a boost in sales after the sector’s catastrophic lockdown months thanks to the purchase incentives.
Car sales in France are getting a breath of fresh air after the staggeringly low volumes of the three last months. With the coronavirus health crisis and the lockdown that followed, new car registrations in the country fell, respectively, by 72%, 89%, and 50% in March, April, and May.
1 000 hybrids per day
Thankfully for the French automotive sector, sales of new cars are increasing. Last weekend’s Open Day saw dealerships’ attendance beat all records. Moreover, sales of hybrid vehicles are drastically increasing. In only the ten first days of June, sales of hybrid cars increased by 89% compared to the same period last year. This represents 1 000 hybrid cars sold per day.
This never-seen-before situation brings hybrid vehicles to a 15% market share. If the current 5% share of electric cars is added to it, the total market share of electrified vehicles goes to 20% or one in five. “Market shares of electric and hybrid cars in 2020 are noticeably higher than ever observed in the previous years,” notes Marie-Laure Nivot, Market Intelligence Manager at AAA Data.
While experts called upon the government to restart a scrap inventive to jump-start the sector only a few weeks ago, green purchase incentives are already working a treat.
Currently, a fully electric Renault Zoé’s end price drops down to €20 000 thanks to the €7 000 ‘green bonus’ and the €5 000 ‘conversion invective’. At Hyundai France, hybrid and electric vehicles now represent 40% of the sales.